Les Barres, France
September 2016 to August 2017 (12 months)
« LEGTA Les Barres » College. It is located on the « Arboretum National des Barres ». This arboretum is managed by the Office National des Forêts – ONF (National Forest Board) . It hots the Institute of Research in Science and Technology for Environment and Agriculture ( IRSTEA previously called Cemagref ) and the National Institute of Geographic and Forest Information (IGN previously called IFN). These scientific research centers are regularly partners of the college on numerous educational actions.
The College is specialized in the forestry and nature conservation fields. « LEGTA Les Barres » College prepares two High National Diplomas : Higher agricultural technician diploma « Forestry Management » and Higher agricultural technician diploma « Nature and Wildlife Conservation ».
About 170 students, aged 18 to 22 , study and live in the college. About 95% of the students are boarders (dormitories are also open at weekends). The students come from the rural and outskirt areas of our county and from the rest of France.
– You must be over 18 years old. You must have a driving license in your home country.
– The college is in rural area, that is why you have to know how to drive to have and develop social relationship. Of course, other transportation options may be considered in case you would not have a driving license (carpool, bicycle, public transportation, etc.).
– Preferably, you will have concepts and skills in terms of forestry and nature conservation. Otherwise, the appeal and taste for these environments are essential.
– You should be outgoing, adapting to the different audiences with whom you will have to live and evolve: students, teachers, administrative staff and service employees, scientific research centers on the “Domaine National des Barres”.
– You should be able to supervise a group of young students. You should also have basis in French and/or in English languages. These basis will help you to communicate with all the persons involved in this project. French language courses can be arranged with official structures in Montargis (15km from the college).
– Your recruitment will be done via the Internet. It will be organized jointly between the educational institution and the Head master of the “Arboretum National des Barres / ONF».
– Analyze the context,
– Provide tools for tourism development,
– Participate in the development of educational activities,
– Welcome and mentor groups,
– Act as an interface between the students of Higher agricultural technician diploma « Nature and Wildlife Conservation » and the staff of the Arboretum.
These missions will be jointly supervised by the director of the Arboretum and by the teacher of Nature leadership. All this will be presented to all the persons involved in the project.
Provisional agenda :
* First quarter :
Meeting with the all persons involved in the “Domaine National des Barres” both internally and externally. A report on this work will be made for those involved.
* Second quarter :
Interface with the Higher agricultural technician diploma « Nature and Wildlife Conservation » students and first pedagogical activities. In fact, the EVS person will participate in the activities of the Arboretum pedagogy. Under the guidance of the Nature leadership, he/she will also supervise groups of these students in connection with the Arboretum.
* Third Quarter :
The EVS person will nature leadership activities. He will implement the proposals he/she made throughout the area but also to a wider audience.
The third quarter will be an opportunity to take stock of the activities and allow to develop on more relevant actions for a wider public;
* Fourth quarter :
Preparation of worksheets related to the actions chosen in different languages
Opening up on a worldwide network media with an analysis of the opportunities in this field.
The EVS person will have the opportunity to take French language classes in Montargis. Days and hours of these courses will be given by the language center. The EVS person transportation to get to these courses will be organized by the college.
Throughout his stay, the EVS person will have free time periods which will be used according to EVS person desire
You will be accommodated on the premises with the members of the staff. This apartment consists of a main room, a kitchenette, a shower and toilet. Meals will be provided by the college during school time (from Monday morning breakfast to Friday lunch).
A car might be available to give you the possibility to organize outdoor activities (for example speeches in schools, French language classes) and week-end trips.
You will have 2 tutors. You will have a mentor at the LEGTA Les Barres college (the Nature leadership teacher) and another tutor in the “Arboretum National des Barres” (the Headmaster). For the various practical aspects of everyday life, you will be supported by the management team (for aspects of monitoring and external relations), by teachers (pedagogical issues), by administrative staff (financial aspects), by service staff for logistical issues.
We shall also help you organize your journey from his/her place to Nogent-sur-Vernisson (information on transfers will be provided). Tutors, staff members and volunteer students will help you out whenever necessary.
Building Bridges members and/or long term unemployed (proved by scanned document) will have preference to this volunteer service.
We will study carefully all application and selected candidates will be invite for Skype interview. The selection of volunteers will take place in the coming weeks.
For the selection of the volunteers we will need:
– Europass CV with picture (made in the last month) with skype name included
– Motivational letter, writing that your sending organisation will be “Building Bridges”. We ask all candidates to send a specific letter of motivation – why they want to volunteer with us rather than just a general EVS one. The volunteer is chosen according to his/her motivation and interest to the project and to the activities. It will be paid special attention to cover letters. Remember to write in the motivation letter that your sending institution is “Asociación Building Bridges”.
Please send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before the 27.04.2016 with the subject “EVS_Les_Barres.YOUR NAME.YOUR SURNAME”