Intercultural meeting point: Café International
The protestant parish of Düren („Evangelische Gemeinde zu Düren“) is a corporate body of the civil rights and the biggest protestant parish in Germany. It has about 30.000 members from the Düren district in a otherwise rather catholic region.
This becomes definite in the activities in which European volunteers are working: “Café International”- a meeting point for refugees from the city and district Düren, and a youth centre in a social focal point with a big share of youths with a migration background. The Café International is being coordinated by a full-time worker (Dipl. Social educational worker). The team consists of 8-10 honorary workers and trainees. The Café is embedded in the field ‘centre for social- and migration- advice’ with 6 full-time members of staff.
Activities of the Volunteer
The collaboration in the Café International especially includes help in the Café. Here the contact to visitors are of central importance. Events providing information and cultural events are taking place. The volunteer will work here, too.
On one afternoon in the week, when special offers for women will take place, the volunteer will help to look after the children. Other areas in which the volunteer will work are public relations work as well as various small jobs in order to support the visitor of the meeting point (e.g. help with application forms). So that the volunteer gets an insight into the specialist field as well as other fields of the social work, visits to other areas are possible and wished.
Altogether the work is built up in such a way, that interests and wishes are taken into consideration in the concrete planning of the work. If the volunteer develops his own small projects according to his/her own interests, this will be supported.
On a regular basis planning conversations for the team will take place. The volunteers are integrated into this. Also appointments for reflection will take place for the volunteers. These are carried out by a social educational worker.
In the Café the volunteer will work together with the pedagogue and honorary workers
Expectation towards the volunteers
- The applicants should be between 18 and 30 years old
- The applicants should have good knowledge of german
- The applicants should be motivated to work with children
- The applicants should be motivated to integrate in Germany
Conditions of EVS
- The volunteers are working 35 hours a week. The work can be in shifts and sometimes it will be also on week-ends
- The volunteers receive pocket money of 105,00 Euro
- Accommodation in an appartment which is shared with another volunteer (separate and furnished room) and food is provided
- The volunteers are entitled to 26 days of holiday
- The volunteers receive a Youth pass at the end
- The volunteers will have the pedagogical support by 15 days seminars organised by the national agency and by 11 days organised by ijgd Bonn
The deadline for applications is the 15th of December.
A complete application should include the following:
- filled in application form for EVS
- 2 passport pictures
- motivation letter
Project start will be the 1st of September.
Please send us your CV and fill in a questionnaire you can find in the attachment firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “EVS Café international GER”.
Please make sure you write on the motivation letter that Building Bridges will be your sending organisation.
[button size=medium style=less_round color=blue align=none url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sh9b4yvlkhxuxd/Bewerbung.doc?dl=0]application form[/button]