Duration of the project: from September 2017 to July 2018 (10 months)
Padova, Province chieftown of the Veneto Region (North East of Italy) is a multicultural city of more than 200.000 inhabitants, among which many immigrants from all over the world. Padova offers to youth many encounter possibilities and rich cultural occasions. The city hosts the second oldest University in Italy which counts more than 60.000 people enrolled, including students from other Italian regions or other countries. In town is very active the Erasmus Association which works to favour encounters between Italian students and foreigner ones: frequent will be the occasions for the hosted volunteers to meet their peers coming from different socio-cultural backgrounds. Padova is also a remarkable tourist destination due to its abundance of artistic and cultural patrimony and the proximity with the city of Venice.
Ufficio is situated in the historical down town of the city of Padova, at the Altinate/San Gaetano Cultural Centre which hosts the homonymous auditorium and municipal library.
Ufficio also has at its disposal another operative office situated in area of the city close to the down town: the Toselli Youth Point.
The project activities will involve the volunteers mostly in the following service ambits:
• tandem learning between Italian and foreign youth to deepen or improving mutual linguistic knowledge.
Activities proposed by volunteers:
• tandem learning service empowerment in the volunteer’s mother tongue or in a language mastered by the volunteer (i.e. , according on the service users requests.
• informative front-office during afternoons (users receiving, counselling in the research of work and formative opportunities, information about cultural and leisure courses and workshops, computer support);
• language courses, creative workshops, city events and reviews organisation;
• organisational support to the street animation staff to promote city events, cultural initiatives, concerts etc.) involving youth.
Spazio Europa (Europe-Space)
– participation to guidance seminars and meetings addressed to youth (target of the Erasmus plus programme – in particular secondary schools students) bringing testimonies of their EVS experience;
-organisational support for the activities of the hosted Youth Exchanges,
– support in the dissemination of the possibilities offered by the EVS programme, for instance joining theoperator during the individual or group informative sessions.
• Recreational and animation activities with elderlies;
• After school activities for underage people.
We will value the volunteers’ involvement within the Social Services sector on the basis of their personal attitudes, and taking in account the effective possibility to activate the services. As an example, the elderlies assistance service will depend on the requests received from the families in need through the Social Worker, and on the kind of disease of the person. Regarding the beginning and frequency of the after school activities we will have to take in account the school closing periods.
Activities proposed by volunteers:
• front-office hours extension for reaching more youth;
• workshops realisation (i.e. music, recycling, photography, cultural tours within the city);
• individual or group language courses;
• intercultural evening organisation to introduce the volunteer’s country of origin or project.
• testimonies about the European Voluntary Service experience to students;
• promotion of meetings about the mobility area at Universities and youth aggregative centers;
• realisation of intercultural initiatives and collaboration to the dissemination of texts or audio-video material about EVS experiences, also in collaboration with other European youth;
• project writing for intercultural exchanges which could involve the volunteer’s country of origin or other sending organisation.
This project offers to volunteers the chance to test their skills in two principal fields:1) promotion of cultural initiatives and services addressed to youth;
2) youth active participation to social life, due to services to targeted to children and elderlies and, in general, people in need.
In respect to the above mentioned proposed activities, we identify the following learning objectives:
Animation: to acquire organisational skills in offering a service (i.e. supporting the management of the informative front office answering to the users’ needs; promoting initiatives as photography, culture and language, or drawing courses; realising a cultural event which involves local youth).
Info-youth: to improve language competencies and develop relational skills (i.e. participating to a tandem learning program in their mother tongue with youth from other European countries);
Europe-space: to experiment teamwork with other young people (i.e. collaborating to the organisation of a hosted Youth Exchange or Training Course); to contribute in the diffusion of an intercultural sensitivity within the local area (i.e. bringing their testimonies as European Volunteers to schools or Universities, or realising an intercultural evening addressed to local people in order to tell about the habits of their Countries of origin).
Social services: to experience the value of solidarity; to develop listening skills and competencies in support of people who live difficult situations (from a socio-economical, psychological or physical point of view); to learn about and inform of the interventions which the public administration addresses to people in need.
The amount of working hours requested to volunteers will be of 35 hours per week, depending on the effective activities organised by the services. Therefore in some period of the year it could be asked a higher commitment for the implementation of the proposals within an area of service, which will be balanced with a lighter load of work in another ambit (i.e. considering a 35 hours schedule, 15 hours of activities in the Animation area could be balanced with 15 hours of after school for the Social services area, plus 5 hours of tandem learning with info-youth). The schedule will be jointly agreed between volunteers and the services responsible and will take in consideration the commuting time to move from a working seat to another.
The volunteers will be hosted in an apartment rented by the Municipality of Padova and situated a few minutes from the historic down town and the activities locations. They will not be lodged in community houses and therefore will have to follow only the ordinary co-habitation rules and those established by the block of flats (silence hours, bed room and common spaces cleaning, etc.). The Office will work as a mediator between volunteers and the landlord in order to facilitate the relationship among them.All the activity premises are situated in spaces regularly served by public means of transportation and easily reachable also with own resources. In order to allow volunteers to be more independent and quick in transferring from one place to another, they are normally assigned a bicycle.
– interest in the projects developed by the distinct areas of engagement;
– adaptation skills and capacity to manage the work schedule and tasks.
Building Bridges users and/or long term unemployed (proved by scanned document) will have preference to this volunteer service.
We will study carefully all application and selected candidates will be invite for Skype interview. The selection of volunteers will take place in the coming weeks.
For the selection of the volunteers we will need:
– Europass CV with picture (made in the last month) with skype name included
– Motivational letter, writing that your sending organisation will be “Building Bridges”. We ask all candidates to send a specific letter of motivation – why they want to volunteer with us rather than just a general EVS one. The volunteer is chosen according to his/her motivation and interest to the project and to the activities. It will be paid special attention to cover letters.
Remember to write in the motivation letter that your sending institution is “Asociación Building Bridges”.
All documents written in English you can attach below with subject: “EVS Italy Padova. YOUR NAME. YOUR SURNAME” to asociacionbbARROBAgmail.com