September 1st, 2018 till July 31st, 2019 (11 months)
The “Agios Vlasios” Chronically Diseases Infirmary of the Holy Diocese of Thiva & Levadia is an elderly care center that aims to offer treatment, affection and care to people of both sexes with priority those suffering with chronicle illness.
The working facilities are modern inside the hospitable 3-floor building with comfortable sitting and refreshing room. There is a seminar room with 200 persons capacity that is also used as an indoor group activities’ room. There is a restaurant and conservatory along the 2 floors and 34 rooms divided between the 2 floors with view to the gardens. The Infirmary operates in 3 shifts a day.
Volunteers accommodation will be in a multi-room rented apartment (1 person per room), with fully equipped kitchen, bathroom, hallway, common sitting room located in Levadia city. Three persons per apartment are allowed.
Food is provided at the Infirmary’s facilities cooked by professional cooks everyday and a food allowance is given for breakfast and extra food upon receipt.
The volunteers transportation will arranged by the Institution. Which will provide to them daily, a driver who takes them at work and back home with Infirmary’s vehicle.
Six (6) hours per day, 5 days per week including weekends (In some cases, to organize special events which require the presence of the EVS volunteers during the weekend that will be deducted from the week days, established by common agreement with the management team). The volunteer will arrive at the “Agios Vlasios” Chronically Diseases Infirmary installations at the agreed hour and leave 6 hours later. Within this time 45 minutes all together are allowed for branch and/or lunch.
Days off: for a 10 months service, the volunteer is entitled for 20 days off work, the equivalent of 2 days per month.
In their working days at the “Agios Vlasios” Chronically Diseases Infirmary, the volunteers agree that they will provide their services in tasks that they will be assigned to them by the Director or the person responsible for them.
Materials needed to be bought for the daily activities should be asked from the Director of the Host Organization for permission prior to the scheduled activity.
Infirmary Working Schedule for the Volunteers:
Tuesday – Thursday*
8h15 – Pick up time from home
8h30 – Arrival at the Infirmary;
8h30 – 10h00 – The Volunteer will assess the needs of the elders, such as water. They will provide company and take them for a walk.
This time can also be used to prepare the weekly activities;
10h00 – The elders second breakfast. The Volunteer will help in distributing the food;
10h30 – Activity. At this time the volunteers will help bringing the elders to the activity room and start the activity they have prepared before hand for this day;
12h00 – The Activity will finish and the volunteers will help to return the elders to their rooms. It will also again assess the needs of the elders, providing company and help in any other essential need the elders have;
13h00 – Volunteers will help in giving lunch to the elders;
13h30 – Volunteers will enjoy their lunch in the Infirmary kitchen installations.
14h15 – Departure for home
Monday – Wednesday – Friday*
8h15 – Pick up time from home
8h30 – Arrival at the Infirmary;
8h30 – 11h00 – The Volunteer will help the elders by supporting their hygienic needs, transporting them to the bath zone and helping in providing clean beds;
11h00 – Short Activity. At this time the volunteers will help bringing the elders to the activity room and start the activity they have prepared before hand for this day;
12h00 – The Activity will finish and the volunteer will help bring the elders to their rooms. It will also again assess the needs of the elders, providing company and help in any other essential need the elders have;
13h00 – the Volunteer will help in giving lunch to the elders;
13h30 – The Volunteer will have his lunch in the kitchen of the installations.
14h15 – Departure for home
Volunteers will have a break after 10h00 that should be scheduled according to the workload of the Infirmary.
*Days may change according to the Infirmary’s daily schedule.
Volunteers will not work during the Official Greek National Holidays
Food: Lunch and dinner will be prepared by professional cooks and provided on a daily base, 5 days a week at their working installations inside the Chronically Diseases Infirmary. Dinner will be packed as take away packet to consume it at home.
The time spent on lunch cannot exceed the 45 minutes.
Breakfast will be self-prepared at home. There will be an exceptional food allowance of 160 euro per month to cover breakfast costs and weekends food. Volunteers are obliged to submit a 160 euro food receipts for each month to cover their food allowance.
Volunteers’ accommodation will be in a rented flat with single bedrooms and shared bathroom & toilet, kitchen and sitting room.
Volunteers are responsible for keeping the room and house, along with the other volunteers, clean and to take care of the equipment inside the house (electrical equipment, TV, beds, tables, chairs, among others). In case of damage due to willful negligence they may be asked to pay the repairing costs. We suggest carrying all your personal cleaning stuff. The flat is located inside Livadeia.
Volunteers will agree to respect their fellow flat-mates and neighbors by respecting their needed rest time during week days. They will avoid making noise beyond 23h00 in accordance to the Greek Laws.
Volunteers will abstain from using the house for illegal activities, such as gambling or the use of drugs.
There will be internet available at the house. In case of technical problems or lower bandwidth the Volunteers will respect limits and avoid spending the bandwidth in non essential leisure activities. The internet is provided mainly as means of communication and as a work tool.
– Bedsheets and towels: you will bring them to the Infirmary to be washed with your clothing.
– For your own clothing, you will use the washing machines at the Infirmary, if no washing machine is available at your flat.
– The best day to wash your clothes is Wednesday (this may change).
– Clean your room and your toilet by yourself. Cleaning material will be provided at the Infirmary, if not available at home.
– Organize yourselves to clean the common spaces.
– Keep the outside places clean and with no trash.
– Your personal garbage will be thrown by yourselves in the closest containers on your home street.
– Use freely the equipment in the kitchen.
– Maintain the kitchen and it’s equipment clean.
– Wireless internet is available in your personal devices. Check the EVS guide(provided on arrival) for more information.
– Hot water is available 24h. First turn on the electrical water heater, wait 15 minutes and turn it off. Then shower. DO NOT
– You will be provided lunch and dinner at the Infirmary’s kitchen. You will take away dinner with you when you leave work.
– For weekends you will use the food allowance to buy or prepare your food. The food allowance is also for breakfast use.
– Heating system often come with auto switch on thermostat that regulates the use of the heater according the settings. In
– Always switch it off when you leave the house for safety reasons.
– Most light bulbs are energy saver.
– Do not waste energy and natural resources for no reason.
– You have neighbors that would appreciate that you keep the noise levels low.
– Avoid making noise after 23h00.
– No pets or animals are allowed in the flat.
– The electricity bills, the water bills and any other bill arriving at your flat you will deliver them to your coordinator.
Volunteer Allowance (pocket money):
The volunteer will receive a monthly allowance of 100€ (as pocket money), as established in the Erasmus+ Programme Guide (2016 version) by signing a receipt.
Transportation to/from Infirmary is managed by the Infirmary’s internal transportation.
A mentor will be available to the Volunteer. The role of the mentor is to provide personal support and support during the learning process. He will be available in emergency cases by phone or in person and the rest of the times by email.
A meeting will be organized once a month by the mentor for general discussion, evaluation, feedback, and any other couldn’t be solved by the previous means of communication and integration into the local society.
The proposed voluntary services in the Chronically Diseases Infirmary for elderly persons include:
a) Voluntary service will follow the daily program of the Infirmary with the personal care of the elderly such as facial cleaning and beauty, serving water and food, walking them around the Infirmary.
b) Voluntary service with weekly creative activities for the elderly such as handicrafts, physical education, music, communication, free time entertainment and walking companion to the city, through individual and group activities.
c) Voluntary service on planning, organizing and implementing activities with similar institutions from abroad in the frame of various European and World programmes. Creation and moderation of a webpage, design of a leaflet and organize an information/dissemination event for publicity and organize public events.
Finally, volunteers will learn how to apply practical techniques for all mentioned works and will acquire knowledge and skills in social services.
So we are looking for volunteers that are:
– 18-30 years old;
– willing to follow the daily program
– capable to create activities with simple materials by using their hands;
– skilled to provide physical education activities;
– open minded, in basics self-independent, responsible and with a strong motivation for international youth work and intercultural communication with elderly persons;
– capable to help in preparing international youth exchanges and activities;
– motivated to learn basic Greek phrases in a short time;
– playing an musical instrument which will be mostly appreciated;
– able to communicate in english.
Volunteers will learn how to apply practical techniques for all mentioned works and will acquire and share knowledge and skills in social services. Their daily tasks and dexterities will be recorded in the Youthpass at the end of their service.
This project seeks funding by the EU Erasmus+ Programme, European Voluntary Service and according to the rules accommodation and food will be provided by the organizers along with the automated distant locator cost for one return ticket to the venue.
We will study carefully all application and selected candidates will be invite for Skype interview. The selection of volunteers will take place in the coming weeks.
For the selection of the volunteers we will need:
– CV with picture (made in the last month) with skype name included
– Motivational letter, writing that your sending organisation will be “Building Bridges”. We ask all candidates to send a specific letter of motivation – why they want to volunteer with us rather than just a general EVS one. The volunteer is chosen according to his/her motivation and interest to the project and to the activities. It will be paid special attention to cover letters.
[button color=”purple” link=”https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83534036/Motivation%20letter%20EVS.doc” size=”bigger” target=”_blank” icon=”momizat-icon-pencil”]Motivation letter[/button]
[button color=”orange2″ link=”https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cqd30j12iat0quv/AAASMnNxA1tknyAl63Y6emnOa?dl=0″ size=”bigger” target=”_blank” icon=”momizat-icon-file3″]Application form Building Bridges[/button]