Ballymun, Dublin 11
Application Form, C.V, and letter of motivation required by Fri 4th December 2015 at 5pm.
End: 01/08/2017 – maybe 01/09/2016
Hosting organisation is seeking EVS volunteers with specific skills or strong interests in art forms to work with young peope aged 10-21yrs. Our youth arts programmes currently include digital media, music, youth theatre, visual arts.
The themes of the project are a) Children & youth with its main aim of working towards the welfare and development of young people aged 10-21 years living in Ballymun and b) Promoting & Supporting Volunteerism in Ballymun and a main aim to promote volunteerism and participation among the young people c) Mixing youth arts and youth work.
While volunteers may be focused especially in their areas of arts interest inHosting organisation, they will be involved in all other areas of our youth work organisation on a daily basis. Overall, volunteers will learn and participate in a wide range of experiences where they will get the opportunity to use and develop their skills.
Hosting organisation is based in Ballymun. Ballymun is a heavily disadvantaged community but is a dynamic urban centre. Ballymun has unemployment is 4 times that of the state, lower than average education levels, higher rates of crime. However, the population is reasonably settled and the majority like living in here. There is high community activity. Ballymun has an area of 1 square mile and is 7k from the city centre.
1. The volunteer will provide practical support to youth work- arts, supporting group work, activities and excursions. The volunteer will work within our annual calendar of programme activities and work on festivals and special events.
Depending on the volunteers area of interest, possible tasks within the Arts programme are:
- Music area e.g. Support the Music club. Bring skills in drums, guitars, keyboards, bands, singing, djing, song-writing, community performances
- Visual Art area e.g. Support the Fine Arts groups. Bring skills to activities and community displays e.g. haunted house in Otherworld Hallowe’en Festival, Lift Youth Arts Festival
- Theatre area e.g support Roundabout Youth Theatre, facilitating workshops and supporting productions.
- Digital Media area e.g. Support film making, sound and music recordings, animation, digital photography, social media, developing creativity and de-mystifying equipment and software.
3. The Volunteer will provide practical support as a general youth work support leader – supporting group work, activities and excursions and/or drop-in areas of our youth facility.
4. Volunteers will engage with local young people and encourage them to pursue volunteering opportunities both locally and internationally.
5. Volunteer will engage in specific activities to promote EVS sending opportunities with local young people.
6. Voluneers will engage in specific activities to promote the theme of the project e.g. intercultural awareness, European Identity development with local young people.
7. Volunteer will engage in specific activities to highlight learning from this project and to externally disseminate that learning.
8. Volunteer will engage with the Online Linguistic Support tool.
Overall, the volunteer should believe in the potential of young people and the value of resourcing and supporting young people to transition positively and successfully into adulthood.
The volunteer should be aged between 21 -30 years. Volunteer should be open, outgoing, an easy communicator and assertive. The person needs to be flexible and be eager to enjoy their EVS experience. The volunteer should have a strong interest/have experience in working with young people aged 10-24 years who live in a disadvantaged area. The volunteer should feel confident in engaging with young people and building positive relationships with these young people. The volunteer must have a good level of fluency in English. The volunteer should be able to show initiative within the boundary of the organisation programme.
The volunteer should have a demonstrated interest/ or be talented in: – visual arts, music, theatre, digital media, working with young people.
Building Bridges Association members will have preference, please enroll to the association here.
We will study carefully all application and selected candidates will be invite for Skype interview. The selection of volunteers will take place in the middle of September.
For the selection of the volunteers we will need:
– Europass CV with picture (made in the last month)
– Motivational letter, writing that your sending organisation will be “Building Bridges”. We ask all candidates to send a specific letter of motivation – why they want to volunteer with us rather than just a general EVS one.
Remember to write in the motivation letter that your sending institution is “Asociación Building Bridges”.